Saturday, April 18, 2009

If I miss a flight or a connection, do I lose my money?

I've never traveled before and I'm taking long flight this summer with one stop in Houston and then straight to Seattle, my destination. I'm thinking of booking my flight online through orbitz.com, If by any chance I lose my flight, or my connection in Houston... Do I lose my money? Do I get some credit? What if it's not my fault? (Example the 1st plane got delayed, and the connection did not waited for me)


If you book flights that come as a connection (i.e. you book from your origin to Seattle, and they come with connections as opposed to direct) - then the connecting flight will wait for the first flight if it's delayed. If YOU book them separately, ie. you book from your origin to Houston, then separately from Houston to Seattle, then the second flight will not 'wait for you' - they don't know you're on a delayed flight. So, even though it would not be your fault, you will lose your money. Travel insurance covers things like if the flight is delayed overnight, they might pay for your accommodation etc - but different packages vary wildly, so check with your insurer. Generally, if you miss your flight, it's too bad, so sad. I'm not sure what you mean by "If by any chance I lose my flight" - I don't know how you can lose your flight? Unless you opt to.

Just be early! It is better to sit around the airport for half an hour, than be running your butt off because you're going to be late, and end up in traffic or something like that! Enjoy your trip.

Sometimes the airline will hold the next flight for you if your first one is delayed. However, in most situations they will not hold the flight as they are not going to delay 120 people for one missed connection. However, if there are a lot of missed connections, they may delay the flight.

If you do miss the 2nd flight as a result, the airline will look to get you on the next available flight to your destination.

If the delay is the reslt of a controllable error (maintanace delay, crew delay) they they will mosty likely try and put you in a hotel and give you food voucers if the next flght is not until the next day.

If the delay was uncontrollable (weather, ATC) they the airlines mostly do not provide that type of assistance.

If you miss the aircraft and it is your fault, the airline will try and put you on the next available aircraft.

In short, if you miss your 2nd flight, either through an airline error or yours, the airline will most likely put you on standby for the next available flight.

Have a great trip...

If it is the airline's fault, then they are responsible and they will try to accomodate you on another airline.

No comments:

Post a Comment