Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Do people still use travel agents ?

Do people still use Travel Agents instead of those stupid companies such as Travelocity, Expedia, and Orbitz ? I want book a trip but want to talk to a human being not a microchip !


I have to admit that I am biased, because I am a travel agent.

Yes, people still do use agents. And no, they should not be more expensive than booking online. In many cases, we cost less because we have access to suppliers that the public cannot use, and they may have better prices.

Often, the cost is the same. The reason to use an agent is convenience. If you book it yourself, you can find a great deal, but it takes a lot of time and effort (checking out several websites, looking at packages vs. booking things separately, etc.). An agent does that for you, and it should'nt cost you a thing.

I always check Travelocity before giving a client a quote (because I know that they will anyway!), and if Travelocity is cheaper, I'll tell the client that. They can book it themselves online if they want - I lose a sale, but I'll lose the customer altogether if I lie to them and tell them I'm cheaper.

I haven't been doing this all that long, but so far, I've only been beaten by Travelocity once! And that client let me book the trip anyway, because there was very little difference, and she knew that if there was a problem, I would handle it.

So that's a second reason to use an agent - they've got your back in the event of a problem.

And they can make recommendations, which an online site can't (ie, suggest restaurants or activities, which are better than others, etc.)

Try an agent - you can always look online yourself and compare prices and services.

TripDiva

Yes, some people do. More people should.

I formerly worked for a travel website and I'll be the first person to say that not everyone should use them. If you have the time and inclination to research your trip properly, then websites work very well. If you don't wish to do that, then travel agents are the way to go. Even if you have to pay a service fee, you're better off to go with the pros. People work hard to earn the time and money for their vacations. Why take a chance on making a mistake and accidentally ruining it?

You can use travel agents in the USA, but at this point, they are much more expensive than booking a trip online.

I concur with a few other posts here. Many people still use travel agents, both for convenience and peace of mind.

as a travel agent, I can give you information about a destination, hotel, cruiseline, or tour company that the internet isn't going to give you.

I know who the good ones are, who are licensed, and who are insured.

I also know who to talk to if you have any issues at all on your trip. So I can get them fixed.

and many agents offer websites that have booking engines on them. those engines will include only the companies that the agent trusts.

This offers the client the convenience of the internet, and the security of a proffessional agent.

Yes, yet and we have the same prices or less than on line....and we are reals.

No comments:

Post a Comment